- Juliette Lewis will co-star in M. Night Shyamalan’s Wayward Pines, based on the novel by Blake Crouch.
- Freddie Prinze Jr. will guest star on Witches of East End.
- Rachael Harris has replaced Alex Kapp Horner in Surviving Jack, based on Justin Halpern’s I Suck at Girls.
- And Megan Park will play the lead role vacated by Aly Michalka in Undateable.
Happy Friday! Let’s catch up on a bunch of TV casting.
- Tobias Menzies has joined Outlander as both Frank Randall and his ancestor “Black Jack.” I’m trying to remember from the book – are they supposed to be virtual doppelgangers?
- Jeremy Jordan will guest star on Elementary.
- Wayward Pines has cast Toby Jones, Terrence Howard and Shannyn Sossamon.
- Indira Varma has joined Game of Thrones.
- The Strain has added Roger Cross, Sean Astin, and Robert Maillet.
- Kurt Yaeger and Jamie Hector have been cast on Quarry.
- Summer Glau will guest star on Arrow next season.
- The Vampire Diaries has added Kendrick Sampson and Olga Fonda in recurring roles for season five.
- Eric Winter, Virginia Madsen and Jason George have joined Witches of East End.
- Wayward Pines will co-star Carla Gugino.
- Louis Lombardi, Patrick Fischler, Stephen Monroe, and Iddo Goldberg have been cast on Lost Angels.
According to The Hollywood Reporter and others, Melissa Leo (The Fighter) has joined the cast of Fox’s limited series Wayward Pines (from M. Night Shyamalan) in a co-starring role. She’ll play Nurse Pam, “the intense, unpredictable nurse who first takes care of Ethan [Matt Dillon] when he wakes up in the Wayward Pines hospital. But it soon seems Pam may be more interested in harming than healing. She and Ethan grow into deadly rivals and her role in the town of Wayward Pines proves much deeper than it first appears.” The ten-part drama is based on the novel by Blake Crouch.
Deadline reports that Fox has greenlit Wayward Pines, a limited series adaptation of Blake Crouch’s novel Pines, from M. Night Shyamalan and starring Matt Dillon. It will air in 2014. Here’s the official description of the book from Crouch’s site:
“Secret service agent Ethan Burke arrives in Wayward Pines, Idaho, with a clear mission: locate and recover two federal agents who went missing in the bucolic town one month earlier. But within minutes of his arrival, Ethan is involved in a violent accident. He comes to in a hospital, with no ID, no cell phone, and no briefcase. The medical staff seems friendly enough, but something feels… off. As the days pass, Ethan’s investigation into the disappearance of his colleagues turns up more questions than answers. Why can’t he get any phone calls through to his wife and son in the outside world? Why doesn’t anyone believe he is who he says he is? And what is the purpose of the electrified fences surrounding the town? Are they meant to keep the residents in? Or something else out? Each step closer to the truth takes Ethan further from the world he thought he knew, from the man he thought he was, until he must face a horrifying fact — he may never get out of Wayward Pines alive.”
- This week’s Entertainment Weekly has your first look at Catching Fire.
- Bones has been renewed for season nine.
- Beautiful Creatures will now hit theaters on Valentine’s Day.
- It’s now confirmed that both Josh Brolin and Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be in Sin City: A Dame to Kill For. (I can also exclusively confirm that the title ending with a preposition will bother me for as long as we have to talk about this movie.)
- FOX is developing a “limited series” from M. Night Shymalan based on the novel Wayward Pines by Blake Crouch.
- Argo was the big winner with the Denver Film Critics Society.