[SPOILERS BELOW FOR LAST NIGHT’S EPISODE OF ARROW]
I’ll admit I was slightly underwhelmed by the Arrow finale, “Unthinkable.” It was mostly fine, just didn’t really grab me for the most part. Oliver won! Yay! And imprisoned Slade on the island, so that will be interesting. And . . . knows how to fly planes! Because he was taken to Hong Kong? Or something? And everyone was saying “I love you” all over the place, and some of them even meant it.
But Oliver did not mean it when he said it to Felicity, at least not in the way she wanted him to, and this whole bait and switch situation annoyed me a bit. And it’s not even because I wanted it to be real – I’d rather see Oliver with Laurel. But it just seemed mean. If Felicity had been in on it, and she and Oliver were fooling the audience along with Slade, I would have loved it. But it gave her false hope, and maybe her feelings in the moment aren’t that important when Oliver’s manipulating her to literally save their own and everyone else’s lives, but still. “You really sold it.” “We both did.” Heartbreaking.
John Barrowman is going to be a regular next season, and I’m very curious to see where this Merlyn/Thea situation goes. She did shoot him, but he was wearing Kevlar, of course, so he’s fine. Because he’s Merlyn, he’s proud that she went through with shooting him, because her courage shows that she’s truly his daughter, blah blah. STOP INSULTING TOMMY. Anyway, he basically convinces Thea that everyone in her life is equally terrible and lying to her, and so they leave town. She claims she won’t return, though I hope that doesn’t stick for long.
Also leaving Starling City: Sara. She agrees to rejoin the League of Assassins in order to get their help saving the city, but she insists she’s no martyr: “For the first time in my life I’m deciding my own fate.” I loved that she gave Laurel her leather jacket when she left and very much hope it’s a sign of the passing of the Canary identity.
Other favorite lines and points of interest:
- “Well, seems like I missed a lot.” I missed you, Roy.
- “Felicity Smoak. MIT class of 09.”
- Sara: “To fight the unthinkable, you have to be willing to do the unthinkable.”
- “The League does not take prisoners.” “It does tonight.”
- Oh no, I hope Lance is okay!
- “You don’t have the guts to kill me.” “No. I have the strength to let you live.”
- I loved that Oliver acknowledged that he made it home because Slade trained him to kill.
- I assume this is a minority opinion, but I’m super excited for a plotline about Oliver trying to get his company back.
- “You did it.” “I had help.
- Lila’s pregnant!