[SPOILERS BELOW FOR THIS WEEK’S EPISODE OF ARROW]
For me, “Streets of Fire” was all about GIRLS BEING AWESOME. Felicity running down Isabel! Laurel with that bow! Thea with the gun! Sara running into the burning building! Yay! And it was interesting to see Oliver’s differing levels of belief in their various capabilities – it especially leapt out at me that he implied that he would trust Felicity to ensure Laurel’s safety, whereas not too long ago he would probably have seen Felicity as someone who also needed protection. The Laurel/Sara stuff was touching, though I’m still not a big Sara fan, and Felicity’s “You are not alone. And I believe in you” got me closer to shipping Felicity/Oliver than anything has in a while.
I almost felt badly for Blood a few times this hour, though really, he should have known this would all end badly for everyone. I can’t believe anyone listened to him about not sending in outside help – as though there wasn’t mass hysteria already? But I loved how quickly Lance figured out roughly what was going on, and how he got his shield and some actual power back. Of course, even with Lance and the cops more or less on Team Arrow, how will they possibly stand up to the Argus army?
The Thea/Merlyn stuff was also extremely interesting. “Who are you?” “I’m her father.” For much of the episode, I was expecting Merlyn to somehow win her over, given how betrayed she feels by the rest of the family, and that to set up an interesting family dynamic for next year. But instead she shot him! Maybe! Do we think that was for real?
Other favorite lines and points of interest:
- That image of trapped Laurel was sure reminiscent of Tommy, huh?
- “I really thought the air bags were gonna go off.”
- “Nice shot.”
- “I’m with the Arrow.” “Good. That’s good.” How far we’ve come! Along similar lines: “Starling City police force is standing with you on this one.”
- “I don’t need you right now. Everyone else does.”
- “We’ve got masks tearing our city to pieces, and we’re gonna need a mask to stop them.”
- “You honor the dead by fighting. And you are not done fighting.”
- “Just saying, if you guys don’t come back alive, I’m gonna be really pissed.”
- “Near him? Near a TV? Turn it on.” I love that Felicity just says “yes” but it’s actually a tablet. No time to explain changing technologies in the middle of all this!